Having a pool is a dream that very few achieve. Above all, a large built-in pool allows you to enjoy it with your family and acquaintances. You have fulfilled that dream, but you have decided that you want to put a more resistant and better-quality coating on it. Which is the most indicated? Without a doubt, the tile.
Is it necessary to hire a professional to do it? The truth is that, no, it is something you can do yourself. Throughout this article, we will explain everything you need to know about how to place a tile in the pool.
- Know more about:- Learn about the 4 best coating materials for swimming pools
Why choose tile for a swimming pool lining?
It is a good question, why is tile better for lining a swimming pool than other materials? Very simple. It is a glassy material, which gives it a long-lasting and brilliant character.
The most important thing is that it is a porous, waterproof material and resistant to frost, temperature changes, and chemical products. In other words, it can withstand anything! That makes it the ideal candidate for pool lining.
In addition, the most interesting thing about the tile is that it is made in tiles, having a wide variety of types and colors that will allow you to form figures in the bottom, the walls… And give a fun touch to your pool!
What materials do you need to work?
Do you want to be successful in putting tiles in your pool? So, be sure to take note of all the materials you will need:
- Glue cement for swimming pools: Cement for tiles will only work for you if you want cement for tiles. You need a flexible glue cement that adheres well to porous materials. We recommend C2TE adhesive cement, as it has better fixation and can be used on pieces of any size. Keep an eye out! In the store, they may recommend the C1, so avoid them! They are suitable for swimming pools, but their quality is lower.
- Grouting cement: You will also need grouting cement made from white cement, epoxy resin, and other materials such as marble dust. Some will tell you that the best thing to do is to apply a layer of pool cement, but there are more practical ways! When you go to the store, ensure it is suitable cement for swimming pools because otherwise, it will fade over time, and the tile will peel off.
- Water-repellent cementitious mortar: This is used for waterproofing the pool. Ideally, it should be waterproof, flexible, and sulpho-resistant.
- Granite plates: Keep in mind that there are three types of plates. The first is placed on the finished face to join the mosaic pieces, the second is made with a mesh on the non-visible face of the tile, and the third with silicone dots. Which one is the best? Undoubtedly the third.
The tools you will need to put tile in the pool.
You already have all the materials. What tools will you need to install the tile in the pool correctly?
- 3mm fine-tooth notched trowel
- sponge trowel
- widia tongs
- Rubber trowel and trowel
- window cleaner rubber
- A sponge
- container for mixing cement
If you have any questions about these tools, ask in the store. They will advise you on the one that is most suitable for the job.
How to place a tile in the pool? These are the steps!
Now that you have all the tools and materials, it’s time to pitch in! You must follow the steps we will indicate below one by one, or you will not be successful!
Prepare the surface
The first step is to prepare the surface on which you will place the tiles. To do this, check that there is no unevenness in the walls or the floor, that they are dry, and that they do not have dust or dirt. If you have removed the old tile, be sure to clean any remains that may have remained and repair any cracks or fissures! There are many factors to consider when choosing the best pool tiles suppliers in Dubai. First, you need to decide what type of pool tile you want. There are many different types of pool tiles available on the market, so choosing the right one is important. Second, you need to consider the price of the pool tile. There are many different prices for pool tiles, so you need to find a competitive supplier. Third, you need to consider the quality of the pool tiles in Dubai. You want to ensure that the pool tile you choose is made from high-quality materials and will last a long time. Finally, it would be best if you considered the delivery time of the pool tile. You want to ensure that the supplier can deliver the pool tile to your location promptly. Check out more at our THM Blog.
What do you want is to place the tile on another coating? In this case, check that the coating has adhered well to the surface. If any are loose, remove them and fill the gap with mortar. In addition, it would be advisable to give it a pass of resin to make it easier for the new coating to adhere to the old one.
Will the coating go over the concrete? In that case, could you wait until it is well set?
Prepare the glue cement mix.
After having cleaned the surface, it is time to prepare the mixture. To do this, pour water into a container, add the adhesive cement and beat until a homogeneous mixture is obtained. It is important that the result does not have lumps and let it rests for the time indicated by the manufacturer.
Great care! Never mix the whole bag. You have to do it slowly until you get the desired mix.
spreads the cement layer
Using a notched trowel, spread a layer of the cement mixture that you have made about 2-3 millimeters and comb it with the notched part. Why is this done? So that it adheres better to the surface.
Be careful to roll out only a small piece, or it will dry out before you can lay down the first piece of tile.
Place the tiles
With the layer of glue well extended, place the tiles very carefully, ensuring that they are well aligned and that the distance between them is at most 2 millimeters.
A trick that will help you is to mark a line at the top aligned with the pool. So you can put it straight. Remember to always go from top to bottom.
Adheres the tile
Once the plates are in place, the next step is to use a rubber trowel to hit them so that they are well fixed to the layer of adhesive cement. With this, you sit and level each of the plates. Repeat the process until you have covered the entire surface of the pool.
Of course, there will be plates that you will need to cut to fit them in the smallest spaces or inclined, such as the staircase. To cut it correctly, the trick is to measure the bare space and mark a reference line on the tile.
Remove the paper covering the plates.
Be careful; you have to do this step only if you have bought tile that uses glued paper.
All you have to do is wait for the cement to dry, moisten the paper with a sponge and remove it with the help of a scalpel. You can skip this step if you have used mesh or silicone tile.
Cleans the remains of glue cement
This is very simple. All you need is a damp sponge to clean any debris left on the surface of the plate.
Fill the joints of the tile.
You have already laid the tile for your pools, and the adhesive cement is completely dry. So, it is time to carry out a process known as “grouting.”
First, prepare the mixture in a container until it is homogeneous. You can use swimming pool glue cement, but you must add a lot of water so that the mixture is more liquid.
The process is quite simple, fill the joints using a rubber trowel to spread the mixture over the entire surface. The reason for doing this? It guarantees the impermeability of the surface, preventing leaks and improving the grip of the tile pieces.
Clean the remains of grouting
Just like when you put the tile plates, you must clean the mixture’s remains. To do this, use a glass cleaner rubber. The correct way is to apply slight pressure with diagonal movements, so you will avoid extracting the contents of the joints.
Clean the lining
And we come to the last step to place the tile for a swimming pool; clean the lining.
Once the grouting mixture has dried, clean the coating using a damp sponge. Then use a dry cloth to clean and dry the surface.
Here are some extra tips for installing tiles in your pool!
How could you verify the process was not as complicated as it seemed? Of course, it is a job that must be done with great patience and care, or you will end up making a real disaster!
For you to succeed in this arduous task that awaits you, let us give you some extra tips:
- This is a job for at least two people. Thus, while one places the plates, the other can prepare another mortar with cement and check that it does not dry out. She can also go hitting the tiles placed so that the cement adheres well while the other continues putting them.
- The tools may vary, but the essence will always be a notched trowel with teeth that do not exceed 3 millimeters.
- Use glue cement for swimming pools since it is prepared to withstand humidity and chemical products. Otherwise, the plates will peel off in no time!
- Are you going to use glued paper tiles? In that case, avoid letting the paper dry after moistening it, or it will cost you more to remove it.
- If you use hexagonal tile, take care of the fit position between one plate and another. To achieve symmetry between them, they have to follow the same direction.
- Respect the times set by the manufacturer for the drying of the cement. Never clean the surface or apply the grout until it has dried well!